English Language and Literature is the ideal subject if you are interested in both the origins and intricacies of our language – where our words come from, how they are formed and the rules we use (and break) to string them together- and reading and exploring literary texts such as plays, poetry and novels. The course gives you the opportunity to explore all aspects of English study.
Share this course with someone you know...
If you are interested in both the origins and intricacies of the English language.
At least five GCSEs at grade C or grade 5, or above, including English and mathematics and at least a grade B or grade 6 or 7, in a relevant subject.
Topics of study:
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley: Technique, effect and a more in depth focus on the contextual factors which have and continue to shape perceptions of the novel.
- Poetry of Carol Ann Duffy: Comparative, stylistic and thematic elements of the poems and a focus on the craft of the writer, with a detailed study of your chosen poems.
- Anthology Paris: Analyse how each text is shaped to focus on a specific audience or purpose and how experience is expressed and how identity is shaped.
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Othello by William Shakespeare
- Re-creative writing
- Non-examined assessment
The course gives you the opportunity to explore all aspects of English study.
The diversity of the topics studied.
Further studies at university, higher level apprenticeship or employment.
Carole Gill A-Level LecturerCarole has a range of roles within the College and delivered a variety of subjects and qualifications, encompassing drama, functional skills, GCSE and Access to Higher Education.
"Classrooms should be dynamic and engaging; an environment that captivates learners and allows them to challenge preconceptions is an essential part of a learning journey".
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.