A career in painting and decorating can offer you a wide range of experiences if you are a practical person with creative flair. You may work as an independent sole trader or for a larger construction company decorating new builds or even on industrial jobs sandblasting and spray painting on a large scale.
This Level 2 one-year, full-time course continues your professional development in painting and decorating. Introducing more advanced and complex techniques such as creating specialist finishes and applying and creating colour.
You must complete both Level 1 and 2 qualifications to ensure your skills and technical ability are of a high enough standard to start a career in painting and decorating. To work in a construction or building site on new builds you will also need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) accreditation that we can provide as part of the course.
Please note that this qualification is also available as an apprenticeship and would take two years to complete, working while you earn and learn, by attending college one day per week. You will need to find a business that will employ you as an apprentice throughout your training.
Share this course with someone you know...
You would like to continue to practise and develop the skills required to work as a painter and decorator.
GCSE English and maths at grade 3 or above and the Level 1 qualification. If you choose the apprenticeship route, you will need to be employed as an apprentice throughout your training.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
• Manage health and safety best practice in the workplace
• Measure and calculating supplies needed for projects
• Prepare surfaces for decoration
• Use a range of paint systems and roller complex areas
• Apply papers to walls and ceilings
• Produce specialist finishes
• Effectively communicate with colleagues
• Create new colours and mix paints
• Erect and dismantle access equipment and platforms.
To be assessed by a combination of theory, practical demonstrations and practical tests.
The practical nature of this course.
Employment in a junior role in the industry.
Careers in this industry
- Self-employed painter and decorator
- Restoration technician
- New build finisher
- Shop or retail specialist with a large contracting company
- Exterior walls and buildings specialist
- Industrial painter - e.g. bridge specialist
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility. The Cornwall College Group reserves the right to withdraw any course listed at any time.