From a general check-up to root canal work, as a dental nurse you will be required to have a reassuring and caring nature as it will be your job to look after the patients. You will also need great communication and organisational skills as you will be responsible for looking after the equipment and maintaining high levels of cleanliness. Successful completion of the course will enable you to become a qualified dental nurse and register with the General Dental Council.
New apprenticeship standards are being introduced to focus skills training more on specific career roles within industry. These government changes mean the apprenticeship skills development programme is written with employers ensuring you are much more work ready for a specific role by the time you complete your training.
Share this course with someone you know...
This Level 3 course will provide you with all aspects of clinical responsibilities and duties of a dental nurse’s role and will give you the relevant qualification to apply to the General Dental Council for professional registration as a dental nurse.
You will study at college one day a week where you will cover the following units:
- Prepare and maintain environment, instruments and equipment for clinical dental procedures
- Offer information and support to individuals on the protection of their oral health
- Provide chairside support during the assessment of patients’ oral health
- Contribute to the production of dental images
- Provide chairside support during the prevention and control of periodontal disease and the restoration of cavities
- Provide chairside support during the provision of fixed and removable prostheses
- Provide chairside support during non-surgical endodontic treatment
- Provide chairside support during the extraction of teeth and minor oral surgery
- Principles of infection control in the dental environment
- Assessment of oral health and treatment planning
- Dental radiography
- Scientific principles in the management of oral health diseases
- Emergency first aid skills
- Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
Gaining your skills working in the industry.
Careers in the industry
- Dental nurse
- Dental receptionist
- Dental decontamination assistant
- Dental practice assistant
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.