Would you like to work in the outdoor adventure sports industry?
Our Level 3 outdoor adventure sports course is the perfect opening course to start your career as an instructor.
This programme is all about immersing you in the outdoor industry and developing the essential and advanced skills that you will need to excel. Let us work with you to develop the key skills and qualities required to succeed in this exciting world of outdoor adventure education.
Practical learning in the outdoors, is the best way to success in this industry. Our course will have you learning outside the classroom, guided by highly experienced instructors and lecturers.
You will have access to all of the latest sports equipment and the best outdoor sports venues, coaches and lecturers in the county.
When you are in the classroom, you will be educated on industry leading guidelines on theory, safety and performance. There is no better place to learn than at Duchy College.
Our outdoor leadership syllabus covers
• Experience in a wide range of outdoor activities
• Developing your skills as a sports coach
• Leadership as an outdoor instructor
• Understanding the outdoor business sector
• Employment in the outdoor industry
• Managing risk
• Keeping people safe in the outdoors
In addition to understanding the essentials in this industry you will investigate;
• How the body and mind cope alongside adventure sport
• Fitness as a contributor towards personal development
• planning and delivering engaging outdoor activities, and
• Leadership styles to the most out of your clients.
When you’re not in the classroom, our highly experienced instructors will have you out and about for a whole day of practical activity one day a week, throughout the academic calendar.
All this and more
Throughout the course we will also invite you to participate in range of adventurous challenges. A few on your must-do list should be;
• Snowdonia National Park experience week
• Navigation expeditions on Dartmoor
• Canoeing expeditions on the Fal River
• Rock Climbing and abseiling experiences
• Mountain Biking Trails, and much more
About the campus
As a student you will have access to our on-site gym and sports hall. You will also benefit from being situated in one of the best placed college campuses for outdoor activities anywhere in the UK.
What You Will Learn
You’ll experience a mix of classroom and outdoor sessions, often working with groups from across the college and local schools to give you a real experience of instructing in the outdoors.
As part of your second year you will complete up to 315 hours in the industry as part of your industry placement, our links with local centres means this can be spent working alongside some of the best instructors operating in Cornwall and could even lead to employment in the summer season straight out of college.
Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The College reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility. The Cornwall College Group reserves the right to withdraw any course listed at any time.