Home / News / Apprenticeships thriving in South West with 650 new starts in September NEWS

Apprenticeships thriving in South West with 650 new starts in September

Published: October 4, 2017

Cornwall College | CCB Newquay | Camborne | Saltash | St Austell | Rosewarne | eden | Bicton | Falmouth Marine School | Duchy Stoke Climsland apprenticeships

Demonstrating the ever-increasing popularity of the apprenticeship pathway into employment, the region’s largest apprenticeship provider has noted more than 650 new apprentices in September.

Staff at CCB, the employer-facing arm of the Cornwall College Group (TCCG), already have another 300 new apprentices set to start their new careers before December.

“As the largest provider of apprenticeships in the South West, we are thrilled to be supporting our new apprentices on their career journey,” commented Raoul Humphreys, CEO and Principle of The Cornwall College Group.

“In the past 10 years we have helped nurtured approximately 15,000 apprentices, becoming the most successful provider of apprenticeships in the South West. Offering over 80 career pathways from accountancy to wood occupations.”

Emma Gilbert from Buttons Accounting Limited spoke very passionately about her apprentices saying “I find taking on apprentices is the best way to bring employees into the business”.

“They bring fresh minds that absorb and learn so much in the first years of working,” she added.

The Government is currently in the process of changing all apprenticeship frameworks through the reform process to New Standard Apprenticeships by 2020.

These new standards are designed by employers for employers, making them even more relevant to the workplace than ever before.

CCB is already well underway changing its apprenticeships over to New Standard Apprenticeships with twelve different vocational areas started in September, including; Business Support, AAT, Team Leader Management Development, Dental Nurse, Butchery, Chef de Partie, Commis Chef, Hospitality Team Member, Supervision Front of Houses, Hair Professional, Housing, Laboratory Technician and the second year of the Electrotechnical (Electrical) apprenticeship.

Apprenticeships also now offer people the opportunity to combine on-the-job training and study at degree level, known as Higher Apprenticeships. These apprenticeships are available at a range of levels from the equivalent of the first year of a foundation degree or HNC (level 4) to a postgraduate degree equivalent level (at level 7).

CCB saw eight Higher Apprenticeships start in September including AAT Professional Accounting Level 4, Agricultural Business Management Level 4, Assistant Practitioner in Healthcare Level 5, Construction Site Supervision Level 4, Engineering Level 4, Laboratory Scientist Level 5, Leadership & Management in Health & Social Care Level 5 and Senior Management Development Programme Level 5.

Higher Apprenticeships offer businesses the opportunity to train their staff in very specific skills, enhancing the company’s overall skills and knowledge. Plus investing in staffs training improves employee retention and reduce recruitment costs.

Funding and incentives are now available to help businesses take on an apprentice. These include; a small employer (less than 50 employees) employing a 16-18 year old apprentice, will be fully-funded and will receive a £1000 incentive, a small employer (less than 50 employees) employing a 19+ apprentice, will pay 10% and the government will pay the remaining 90%, a medium employer (more than 50 employees), employing a 16-18 year old apprentice, will pay 10% and the Government will pay the remaining 90%. The employer will receive a £1000 incentive.

Levy paying employers (pay bill over £3 million per annum) employing a 16-18 year old apprentice, will pay 100% from their digital account and will receive a £1000 incentive. Levy paying employers employing a 19+ year old apprentice, will pay 100% from the digital account.

If you would like to find out more about taking on an apprentices and funding, CCB has a dedicated Apprenticeship Recruitment Service, which matches employers with their ideal apprentice. The team supports employers with selection and recruitment and helps individuals gain a career now through an apprenticeship with CVs and interview techniques.

To find out more contact CCB’s Apprenticeship Recruitment Team on, 0330 123 4785 or email apprenticeships@cornwall.ac.uk. Check out CCB’s website for information on the benefits of taking on an apprentice www.ccbtraining.co.uk or visit TCCG website to view current vacancies www.cornwall.ac.uk/apprenticeships-hub

Share This Article...